Purpose: To help you understand God’s role for us in His church and to see that you will become a part of the body of Christ, a member of God’s family.
1. The Body of Christ — At baptism we become part of the body of Christ
- Colossians 1:15-18. What is the church? It is the body of Christ. What does the head do for the rest of the body? Jesus should always be who guides the church.
- 1 Corinthians 12:12-27. We are baptized into the body of Jesus, his church. The church consists of distinct yet unified parts, just like a human body. We are the church; each of us must actively look for the distinct yet unified ways we are to support this body. How will you help build up the body of Christ?
- Hebrews 3:12-14. We each have the charge and the responsibility to see to it that no one has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from God. Daily encouragement helps everyone stand firm until the end.
- 2 Corinthians 8:7. God loves a cheerful giver. Our giving supports the body as we reach out to a world in need of Jesus.
2. The Family of God — We also become a member of God’s family.
- Ephesians 2:19-22. What does members of God’s household mean? Share about your physical family and how they interact. Being apart of God’s family we now have a safe place to come home to. What is great about God’s household is that it is built on the foundation of God’s Word.
- Hebrews 2:10-11. When we are made holy we become brothers to Christ. He is no longer ashamed and we can now approach God with confidence because of Jesus. How does this make you feel knowing that you can be apart of God’s family in this way? Now we are going to look at members of God’s family in the first century.
- Acts 2:40-47. The first 3000 converts had just been baptized into Christ. What do you notice about their lives? We see they are devoted to:
- Apostles teaching –Ephesians 2:20 Discuss the importance of Bible study.
- Fellowship – Hebrews 10:23-25 Discuss why it is crucial to be together.
- Breaking of Bread – 1 Corinthians 11:23-29 Explain Communion.
- Prayer – Acts 4:31 Prayer helps us to stay connected to God and to each other.
Additional Helpful Scriptures:
1 John 1:5-10, John 17:20-26, Colossians 2:18-19, John 13:34-35
Denominations in Christianity: Ephesians 4:4-6; Romans 12:4-5; 1 Corinthians 1:10-13; 1 Corinthians 12:12-13.
Go to: Bible Studies Outline